Thursday, March 16, 2017

What is your "why"?

I know you've heard this before.  I actually "stole" it from one of my mentors, Dr. Parisi.  He challenged us a few weeks ago to create a statement about our "why".  Here's mine:

Teaching music to students is a responsibility I don't take lightly.  I owe my students the very best that I can give every day, and showing compassion, vulnerability, honesty and excitement about my profession.

Some days are better than others.  But with my statement about my "why",  I have a place to remind myself "why" I began this journey in the first place.

I am fortunate enough to have the opportunity to attend the CBDNA convention in Kansas City this week.  Last night, I was at a concert that affirmed my why - for so many reasons.

Just like a company has its mission statement - their "why", we owe it to ourselves and our students to know where we are headed, what our focus will be, and the method that we use to accomplish our goals for them and ourselves.

So, what is YOUR why?

No comments:

Post a Comment