Thursday, March 9, 2017

Tell me a story...

One of the great things about our profession is that much of the music we perform is programmatic - music based upon something real or fictional - that tells a story.

I love introducing students to this kind of music, because it engages their imagination, and it's amazing what they can do when they make music come to life through their eyes and their playing.

Sometimes there is no story behind a piece of music.  But we still find a way - imagination is the key.

It's kind of like reading a book and getting lost in the story.  It's so great!  Music provides another opportunity to do the same!

What a wonderful thing I get to do with our students every day.  Teaching kids - especially in music - has been such a blessing to me.

Enough about what I do - go find some program music and tell me a story!!

1 comment:

  1. If I understand correctly, the 1812 Overture is an excellent (and IMHO, one of the greatest) examples oF this!

    ReplyDelete