Thursday, May 18, 2017

What is wrong with today's youth???

I was in the parking lot of a music store I was headed to yesterday, and a truck pulled in next to me and the driver flipped me off, got out of the truck, began yelling obscenities at me about "taking his parking spot" (even though he parked in the one right next to me?) and continued his tirade as I walked into the building to do my business.

He was a young person, maybe 18 or 19 years old.  Dressed like Vanilla Ice (nailed it, by the way) and was ready for a fight.  I ignored it.

But when I returned to my truck, he had kicked a dent in my door.  Wow.  What is wrong with today's youth?

They need us to teach them manners, courtesy, decorum in public places, how to deal with people, how to communicate, how to be a human.  And teaching music does that so well.  All of those things- without changing much of our curriculum or objectives.  It's just there in our every day lives.  And that's awesome.

I came back to school, finished my day with our students, reflected later that day on our school year, and I realized that there isn't anything wrong with today's youth.  Nothing. At. All.

Want me to prove it?  Just come and spend a few days with our students.  You'll see it.  And then you'll know how much good is inside them, how much they have to offer, how much they WANT to do good in our world.  Just give them a chance.

I'd venture a guess that my Vanilla Ice "friend" never took band.

No comments:

Post a Comment