Thursday, April 27, 2017

It's ALL Small Stuff

You know you've heard it - "Don't sweat the small stuff - and it's all small stuff."

I disagree.  Completely.  (cue tense music, probably a fully diminished chord....)

I'm certainly not trying to stress anyone out.  But as we move into the "end of the year", it's easy to let things go, not fight the battle, not push our kids to their full potential because we're tired.

NOT ME.  I refuse to accept less than their best from the first day of school to the last.  And some of them think I'm being mean, or unreasonable.  That's my favorite part - putting pressure on them, making them sweat a little bit.  Then, they really understand what it's worth to do MORE THAN WHAT'S COMFORTABLE OR EASY.

So I'll keep pushing.  Why? Because we have one of the most important jobs in the world.  We impact our students every day in ways that a math teacher, science teacher or PE teacher don't.  Not that they don't impact students too, it's just different.

I was asked the question a couple of days ago (for the senior video) what my favorite memory of this year was, and to give the seniors some advice.  Here's what I said:  "My favorite memory is every day.  Seeing you all realize your full potential, bloom when you're given the opportunity, and grow in ways you didn't know you could.  My advice to all of you is to NEVER pass up an opportunity when it's in front of you.  You'll never know what you are capable of if you don't take the chance."

So SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF.  IT MATTERS.  PUSH.  HAVE HIGH EXPECTATIONS.  EVEN ON THE LAST DAY OF SCHOOL.

They matter that much.

No comments:

Post a Comment